Friday 25 February 2011

Recovery after having an Ileo Anal Pouch

After my Ileo Anal Pouch Procedure

The idea I started to Blog was I suppose to try to help people that are in the situation I was in two years ago?
Doctors and Surgeon would tell you it would be ok in a couple of months and not a lot changes??
I can tell you a lot changes, you need support of your loved ones and friends because it is a journey, a very long journey which you feel at the time you will never get there.
Any way I am testament that you can get there and I would like to help anyone who is about to go through the same experience I have been through or any one with Ulcerative Colitis who needs the advice from someone who has been there seen it ,done it, got the T  shirt ,so to speak!
My job is a Plumber for 25 years, so I know what you must be thinking?
That it must be the best job to be in with our condition ,(as you always need the toilet and quickly),problem for me is I am a manager who spends a lot of time on the road going from job to job, which was a big problem when you needed to go ?
I got to know all the petrol stations, Cafe, Restaurants’, Public car parks, with toilets, McDonalds I would say probably had the best??
The reason also for my Blogs is the illness is obviously an embarrassing one, where it is not easy to discuss with other people what you are passing and how many times you run to the toilet in a day??
Easier to talk by Email with no embarrassing explanations, I was a member of the NACC for a while and use to read all the problem pages with advise normally from doctors not people with hands on experience.
I now currently take 8 tablets a day of Loperamide and 2no Codeine Phosphate of a night before bed ,in the morning I have a Probiotic  drink every morning so my pouch does not become infected and also have another drink late evening also to help me get through the night Questrian powder that I add to fruit juice, which was like drinking talcum powder !
For anyone who does not know what an Ileo Anal Pouch is, when you have Colitis it is a diseased Colon, and unlike Crohns where you can cut out the infected part you can’t do that with Colitis because it will come back and re infect, so you have to remove the whole Colon from your Anus up to where it reconnects with your small intestine.
They then take a section of your small intestine and make a U bend or Trap so this part stores your movements until you have to go .
When you 1st have the surgery the tell you, you have to re teach yourself how to go a toilet as this is a new muscle that you have to develop, and you have to try and hold yourself as long as possibly, which in the early days is nearly impossible?
That’s all for this Blog, if you need any advice on this problem or even maybe plumbing you can get in touch

Regards

D Peagam

No comments:

Post a Comment